Did you ever have one of those days where everything seems to be going wrong? You know, the kind where you can’t find your car keys, when everything drops from your hands, when you stumble every third step at something. The kind that makes you want to punch a nearby wall or throw your favorite coffee cup out the window.
Don’t feel bad, we all have such days. However, before you start destroying your beloved things, you should know there is a rather simple solution – a punching bag.
Now a heavy bag is not just for boxers, it has more benefits than you know, like stress relief, and relieving your stress can easily prevent you from losing your beloved coffee cup.
Sounds interesting? Then read on.
1) Stress Relief
Since I’m not a click-baiter, let’s start with the one that I was talking about.
- Stress be gone: While I may not be able to eliminate the cause of my stress (looking at you, traffic jams), I can definitely punch my way through the frustration. It’s a great way to release pent-up emotions and prevent myself from accidentally punching a hole through the wall. Again.
- Bye-bye, anxiety: Personally, I’ve found that regular punching bag sessions help reduce my anxiety levels. My mind tends to focus on the rhythmic motion of hitting the bag, allowing me to forget about my worries, even if just for a short while. Plus, it’s a lot cheaper than therapy. So give it a try.
I found out that random punching is better than nothing, but there are actually specific punching bag workouts designed for maximized stress relief. Check out the article for more information.
2) A Killer Workout
Punching a heavy bag can be one hell of a workout too. Not only are you relieving unnecessary stress, but you are also training your muscles, increasing your strength and if you incorporate timed sessions, it’s also one hell of a cardio.
- Cardio? Check: As mentioned above, by incorporating timed sessions, for example, a 1-min workout, 2-min pause, etc., you are building your cardio like crazy.
- Strength training, too: Using a punching bag isn’t just about throwing your fists around like an enraged octopus. It requires strength, balance, and proper form, which all contribute to building lean muscle mass.
3) Coordination and Balance
As someone who’s always struggled with coordination (I still have nightmares about middle school dodgeball), I can confidently say that using a punching bag has improved my hand-eye coordination and balance dramatically.
- No more tripping: A successful punching bag session requires maintaining balance and control over my movements. As a result, you will find yourself stumbling less often in everyday life.
- Dancing Chap: This goes hand in hand with coordination. Dancing requires precise and stable moves (at least old-school dance types) and punching that bag helps with that.
4) Increased Mental Health
There are several mental health benefits that are direct results of a punching bag workout. Here are a few:
- Confidence boost: There’s something incredibly empowering about learning how to throw a solid punch. You have an additional skill and knowledge on how to use that skill, so naturally, your self-esteem will skyrocket.
- Self-defense skills: While I hope to never find myself in a dangerous situation (again), it’s reassuring to know that I’ve developed some basic self-defense skills through my punching bag sessions.
- Discipline and focus: Practicing with a punching bag requires dedication, consistency, and concentration. As a result, you will develop a stronger sense of discipline and focus, both inside and outside the gym.
5) The Social Aspect
You might think that punching bags are a solo activity, but they can actually be a great way to bond with others. Here’s how your punching bag sessions can easily turn into social activity (if you feel like it’s the right step for you):
- Join a class: I’ve discovered that many gyms offer group classes that incorporate punching bag exercises. These classes not only help improve your technique but also provide a fun way to meet new people who share your passion for punching inanimate objects.
- Friendly competition: Sometimes, I invite friends over for a little punching bag session. We take turns showing off our best moves and challenging each other to punch harder, faster, or with more accuracy. It’s like Fight Club, but without the actual fighting (and the rule about not talking about Fight Club).
- A conversation starter: Believe it or not, my punching bag has become a unique conversation piece. When people visit my home, they often ask about it, and it’s a great opportunity to share my experiences and maybe even inspire them to give it a try.
As you can see, using a punching bag has more than one benefit. Benefits are there, but of course, also some negatives. One such negative example would be that punching bags might be hurtful for your joints if you are untrained and if you are not throwing your punches properly. It’s always good to get some advice from a trainer or at the very least, some legit videos.
I hope that your knowledge about the benefits of using a punching bag is greater than before reading this article and that you are ready to start punching your way through the roof.
Boy, do I love puns.