In our latest article, we have talked about how to hang your new punching bag. Now, if you want to extend the life expectancy of your bag, you have to take care of it properly.
In this rather short guide, we will look at 5 steps on how to maintain your punching bag properly.
Keep it Clean, Punchy McPunchface
Let’s start with a classic and I guess most obvious step. Just like every other thing in your life, your punching bag needs some love and care in the cleaning department.
- Wipe it down: After every workout, give your bag a gentle wipe with a damp cloth. This will help remove sweat, blood, and tears (mostly tears) from the surface. If you forget this step, don’t worry, your bag will simply develop a lovely, pungent aroma. Delightful, right?
- Deodorize: To further prevent the aforementioned olfactory disaster, you should consider using a deodorizing spray. Just don’t confuse it with your favorite body spray – your punching bag doesn’t need to smell like a teenage boy’s locker room.
Inspect and Repair: The Art of Keeping Your Bag Together
If you’re using your punching bag on a regular basis, it’s bound to get a little… well, beaten up. So, make it a habit to inspect your bag for any damages.
But don’t feel bad, even commercial punching bags are subject to wear-and-tear annoyance.
- Check for wear and tear: Look for any loose stitching, tears, or worn spots. If you find any, take a moment to congratulate yourself on your incredible punching power. Then, get down to fixing it. You can sew small tears yourself or, if you’re not feeling particularly domestic, take it to a professional.
- Examine the hardware: You should ensure that the chains, hooks, and other hanging hardware are in good condition. The last thing you want is for your punching bag to go rogue and attack you (which happens more than punching bag owners would like to admit).
Give it a Good Shake, Like a Giant Maraca
Giving your bag a good shake every now and then helps redistribute the filling evenly, ensuring it maintains its shape and firmness.
Wait, doesn’t it shake every time I punch it? Well, yes and no.
- So, Shake it up: Whenever your bag starts to feel a bit lumpy or soft in certain spots, simply shake it or hit it from various angles to move the filling around. This is an excellent opportunity to pretend you’re in an action movie, taking down the bad guy with a single punch. Cool, huh?
Rotate, Because Variety is the Spice of Life
One side is not like the other, one side is more loved.
Over time, you may notice that certain areas of your bag are becoming more worn than others. Rotating your bag regularly will help prevent this.
- Give it a spin: Every couple of weeks, you should turn your bag a quarter or half turn. It’s as simple as that. Just like in a long-term relationship, it’s important to keep things fresh and interesting, even if it’s just a bag filled with sand.
Store it Properly, or Prepare to Feel the Wrath
But you just hung it! Well, let’s talk about this first.
Lastly, let’s talk about storage. While you might be tempted to leave your punching bag out in the elements or in a damp, dark corner of your basement, resist the urge.
- Keep it dry: Store your bag in a dry, well-ventilated area. Unless you want your bag to double as a science experiment, complete with mold and mildew.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause the material to weaken and fade. But hey, if you’re into the distressed, vintage look, go for it!
The Bottom Line
So, I guess that’s all she wrote. These simple yet very effective steps will help you properly maintain your punching bag, so it can last for years. If you ask me, it’s a win-win situation, with just a small amount of work, you will be happy and your punching bag will thank you as well.
Peace out, fellas.